10 Benefits of Tomatoes according to organicfacts.net. Tomatoes are full of antioxidants which help fight against certain cancers and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Abundant source of Antioxidants: According to published studies at the Harvard School of Public Health, tomatoes contain a large amount of lycopene that fights against prostate cancer, cervical cancer, stomach, rectum, esophageal and pharynx cancer. Also it protects against breast cancer and cancer of the mouth.
- Rich source of Vitamins and Minerals: A single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement. It also contains abundant vitamin A and potassium, as well as iron.
- Reduces Cholesterol and Protects the Hearts: Lycopene protects the heart by reducing cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
- Counters the Effect of Cigarette Smoke: Coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid in tomatoes fight against nitrosamines which are produced in the body and are the main carcinogens found in cigarettes. Vitamin A protects the lungs from cancer.
- Improves Vision: Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant. This vitamin found in tomatoes aids in improving vision and prevents night-blindness and macular degeneration.
- Digestive Health: Tomatoes are full of fiber which helps digesting down foods and reduces constipation.
- Lowers Hypertension: Potassium in tomatoes is a vasodilator, which reduces the tension in blood vessels and arteries. This mineral helps to increase circulation to the heart which eliminates hypertension.
- Manages Diabetes: Daily consumption of tomatoes reduces the oxidative stress of type 2 diabetes.
- Healthy Skin: Daily consumption protects the skin against UV-induced erythema.
- Prevents Urinary Tract Infections: Tomatoes contain water which acts as a diuretic. This elimination of toxins from the body helps to prevent UTIs.
Here’s to your Health!
Kim Lowrey, Certified Colon Hydrotherapist
Colon Hydrotherapy Center, Fayetteville, AR