According to an article on msn.com, mold on bread may be more pervasive than what we think and are able to see. I pulled out a loaf of bread the other day and noticed on the slice some mold. I tore off the moldy part and ate the rest of what I considered the clean part.
On NPR, Marianne Gravely, a senior technical information specialist for the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, said, “We don’t recommend cutting mold off of bread, because it’s a soft food. With soft food, it’s very easy for the roots (of the mold), or the tentacles…to penetrate (deeper into the food).” There’s alot of the mold we cannot see.
She recommends to throw the slice away and choose from the other end of the loaf of bread that has no outwardly appearance of mold. There are other soft foods such as jams, soft fruits, and lunch meat that should be thrown out if mold appears.
Hard foods, like hard cheeses, carrots and salami are the foods you can cut the mold off of (an inch away from the mold) and probably be okay to eat. The roots cannot grow very fast through these hard foods.
Here’s to your Health!
Kim Lowrey, Certified Colon Hydrotherapist
Colon Hydrotherapy Center, Fayetteville, AR