According to the Natural Alternative Remedy website, Milk Thistle has been around for at least 2,000 years. This herb has been used to provide support and treatment for conditions of the liver. Milk thistle has been used to reverse toxic liver injuries and aid in the regeneration of new liver cells.
6 Benefits of Milk Thistle:
- Liver Affinity: Milk Thistle helps with general liver problems including jaundice, hepatic pain and swelling. Flavonoids are found in milk thistle and helps to boost the immune system. This herb has shown to be beneficial for acute viral hepatitis, metabolic disease, continual-persistent hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver.
- Cancer: Research has shown one of the active materials in milk thistle is silymarin. This powerful anti-oxidant has been proven to inhibit the development of breast, prostate and cervical cancer cells in test tubes. More research is needed.
- High Cholesterol: Silymarin has also been shown in animals to reduce cholesterol with the added advantage of raising HDL cholesterol.
- Gallstones and the Gallbladder: Milk Thistle raises bile solubility, which encourages circulation in the gallbladder and common bile duct. Gallstones are a lot less likely to form when the bile has better circulation, and decreases bile’s cholesterol levels according to researchers.
- Obesity: The liver is significant for purifying the blood and metabolizing the fat in the body. Milk Thistle helps improve the function of the liver to metabolize fat quicker which may help in weight loss.
- Our Skin: Evidence shows skin conditions, such as psoriasis, may be linked to abnormal liver functions. As a result of helping the liver, one of the benefits of milk thistle is that it helps our skin to be healthier through increased liver function.
Here’s to your Health!
Kim Lowrey, Certified Colon Hydrotherapist
Colon Hydrotherapy Center, Fayetteville, AR