According to WebMD, the classic symptoms for a heart attack are crushing chest pain that radiates down the left arm, and shortness of breath. But for women, we may not experience these symptoms.
These are the 6 common heart attack symptoms for women:
- Chest pain – This symptom is common in men, but women may feel it differently. It may feel like a squeezing or fullness and the pain can be anywhere in the chest, not just on the left side. It feels like a vise.
- Pain in your arms, back, neck, or jaw – This type of pain is more common in women than in men. The pain will be more general in nature rather than just on the left side of the chest and arm. It may wax and wane before becoming intense. The pain may wake you up.
- Stomach pain – Women may confuse stomach pain with heartburn, the flu or a stomach ulcer. The stomach pain may be severe and you’ll feel a lot of pressure.
- Shortness of breath, nausea, or lightheadedness – If you’re having trouble breathing (feeling like you ran a marathon) you may be having a heart attack.
- Sweating – Breaking out in a nervous, cold sweat is common among women who are having a heart attack.
- Fatigue – Some women who have heart attacks feel extremely tired. Hard to walk to the bathroom.
If you have chest discomfort especially if you have one or more of these symptoms, Call 911!
Here’s to your Health!
Kim Lowrey, Certified Colon Hydrotherapist
Colon Hydrotherapy Center, Fayetteville, AR