10 reasons why I buy organic according to the website, prevention.com:
- Avoid Chemicals: The best way to avoid pesticides in your food is to buy organic. According to the National Academy of Sciences, 90 % of the chemicals applied to foods have not been tested for long-term health effects.
- Benefits from more nutrients: The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine conducted a review of 41 published studies comparing the nutritional value of organically grown and conventionally grown fruits, vegetables, and grains and concluded that there are significantly more of several nutrients in organic food crops.
- Enjoy better taste: Because the soil is managed and nourished with sustainable practices the produce tastes better. This is true with heirloom varieties.
- Avoid GMO: Organic food is not grown in a genetically modified way.
- Avoid hormones, antibiotics and drugs in animal products: The EPA reports that a majority of pesticide intake comes from meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products. Cows, chickens and pigs are fed animal parts, by-products, fish meal, and grains that are heavily and collectively laden with toxins and chemicals. These substances accumulate in the fatty tissue of these foods. Antibiotics, drugs and growth hormones are also directly passed into meat and dairy.
- Preserve our ecosystems: Preservation of soil and crop rotation keep farmland healthy, and chemical abstinence preserves the ecosystem. These methods preserve the health and safety of plants and wildlife.
- Reduce pollution and protect water and soil: Because Organic farming doesn’t use harmful chemicals there is no threat of run-off of pesticides into our water systems, and preserves the health of the soil.
- Preserve agricultural diversity: Conventional farming tends to stick with just a few types of products rather than an array of varieties, such as potatoes. Crop rotation is a simple and effective technique used in organic agriculture to reduce the need for pesticides and improve soil fertility.
- Support farming directly: Commercial farms are heavily subsidized by the government. Buying organic is important to keep these farms running. It is a worthwhile investment.
- Keep our children and future safe: Spending dollars in the organic sector is a direct vote for a sustainable future for the many generations to come.
Here’s to your Health!
Kim Lowrey, Certified Colon Hydrotherapist
Colon Hydrotherapy Center, Fayetteville, AR